Pergola Construction and DIY Shade

When we moved into our house 5 years ago, we had just a plain old slab for a patio.  We were baking in the sun during the summer, plus it just looked so blah!  We soon fell in love with the idea of a pergola.  Thankfully, my father-in-law is very good at building things, so he volunteered to make the pergola dream a reality.




I was SO pleased with the results.  I am also pleased to say that after 4 years, I think it has been 4 years, it has not moved an inch.  I'm serious, not an inch.  My husband measures it ever so often and checks to make sure it is still level. :) 


This pergola actually gave us enough shade to satisfy me for a while.  Every summer, when I finally get hot, I start to research covers and they are always out of our budget.  Well, I was in the paint section a month ago and saw some drop cloths and was wondering if that might work.  I didn't really give it another thought until a few weeks ago I saw a post from a blogger using a DROP CLOTH!!    I was so excited!  I even commented on her post and I THOUGHT I saved it to one of my Pinterest boards, but it's not there.  Anyway, if you are reading this blog and are saying, "Hey, that was me!", then please send me a note and I will link to your post because I am so grateful!

The drop cloth I found was at Wal-Mart.  They have 2 different sizes.  I bought the one measuring 9x12 for only $20.00. 

 I decided I would sew it in half and let it run down the middle of the pergola. (that's what the unknown blogger did and hers looked so pretty!) 

 I really wanted to weave it a little, but it just was not long enough. 

My husband made the point that I probably should have just kept it flat and it would have covered the entire thing.  So, when I take it down to wash it at the end of the season, MAYBE....I will take out the stitches so we can have more coverage next year. 

 We also stapled it down on the ends and staggered along the top edges.

I cannot tell you how happy I am with this!  Now, I can sit and watch my girls play in the pool on those hot summer days, with a pretty nice shade for only $20.00.  :)


Blessings,
~Gina

Comments

Popular Posts